Friday, January 21, 2011

I need to write more because I'm a Journalism Major

So I started at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Broadcasting on Tuesday, and about an hour into my Psychology class I realized that being a journalist would undoubtably require me to write quite often.  I then took an inventory into all that I had written within the past week.  It totaled something like four facebook posts and three tweets...not exactly Pulitzer caliber writing.  I began to mentally list ways I could write more, and quickly realized I could start by writing down my ideas.  Sadly, I could not find my pen anywhere and no one was sitting next to me.  Rather than interrupt my professor, who at the time was making each and every kid in the class feel like idiots, I decided to jot the ideas down in my newly acquired MacBook Pro...I couldn't figure out how to bring up the Microsoft Notepad equivalent of Macintosh.  Thus I decided to table the idea until a later date.

Thursday I had completely forgotten about the need to write more until I was sitting in my Principles and History of Journalism class and my professor made some offhanded remark about how we students of journalism all better enjoy writing or find a new major.  I quickly asked myself if I did indeed enjoy writing...the answer was yes.  With that I started to decide how I could write more. At that exact moment my phone vibrated informing me I had received an email.  It was from the bookstore informing me that my OfficeMac would be shipped out Friday.  That in itself did not help me, but when I closed that email I saw the email my little brother Landon had sent me from his mission.  (He's serving in the Australia Sydney Mission.)  That email reminded me that my mother posted all of his emails to a blog (http://elderlandonbrough.blogspot.com/) that his friends could then read.  I felt a lightbulb illuminate above my head.  The idea had taken root.

I am not really sure what all I will write about, nor do I know who will actually read this, but I do intend to update it often.  I'm sure between riding the light rail twice a week, being a newlywed, attending a university full of young adults acting upon every urge and idea they have, and whatever other life experiences I have I will be able to find topics to dissect.  I hope you enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I will thoroughly enjoy your authentic writing. Congrats on your major. That really sounds like a great degree to obtain. Remember in thirty years we will retire and teach History (me) and English (you) at the high school level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah man. I always thought you were teaching English and I was teaching History. As long as I'm the cool teacher I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea you were a writer! You write any fiction or short stories, too?

    ReplyDelete