Tuesday, January 25, 2011

School is Cool

I love the reaction you get when you say hi to someone and they cannot figure out who you are.

On the light rail today I noticed one of my professors hop on in in between one of my head bobs. (You know when you are dozing off and it feels like your head is falling off a cliff and right at the last second you shoot it up only to realize you were no where near a cliff, but just dozing off?)  I wanted to say hi but she chose a seat out of my line of sight.  To preface this next part I need to tell you that   on the first day of her class she told us that we could call her by her first name, professor, or doctor.  Well upon exiting the light rail I was walking next to her.  I looked over and said "Hello Kate.*"  She looked absolutely shocked!!!  She had that look on her face that said she was trying to remember from where she knew me.  Now, I'm not trying to be rude but just by the process of elimination it should not have taken her long to figure out I must be one of her new students.  Let's check out the facts:

I knew her first name.
We got off at the same stop which is right next to ASU.
I was carrying a backpack.
I was wearing an ASU hoodie.
We were both walking toward the campus when the interchange occurred.

Anyway, the look she gave me was priceless.  She literally was staring at me, trying to figure out who I was and how I knew her the rest of the walk to the campus.  It did not click that I was one of her students until I said, "I guess I'll see you in class.", as I entered the  building and headed for the stairs.  I'm sure she is sitting in her office trying to figure out who I am and which class I'm in as I type this post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A side note:

I do not know if any of you have seen Toy Story 3 but my Principles and History of Journalism professor sounds exactly like Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear.  He is not nearly a devious, (unless you count attempting to bore your students to death as evil) nor as cute.  The class in itself is interesting and vital to my education so I do my best to tough it out, but it has proven difficult.

JB

*names have been changed to protect the innocent.

1 comment: