Thursday, February 10, 2011

Everyone is an Expert

I found myself at Life Time Fitness in Gilbert at 6:00 AM when I overheard this conversation:

Man 1: “Hey man, I told you that the ‘Pack’ were gonna win that game.”

Man 2: “Yeah you did, I just couldn’t believe how Rodgers broke down that coverage.”

Man 1: “Dude I saw that coming from a mile away.  It was apparent that Polamalu was not 100%.  When I re-watched the conference championship game I saw that he didn’t have that extra gear.

Also it was apparent that the Steelers would not be able to defend the five wide set that the Packers like to use so much.

Plus, I told you Jennings was the most underrated receiver in the NFL."

Man 2: “Well not only that but the O-Line for the Packers took Harrison out of the game, I mean he had one sack but it looked like Green Bay was ready for everything the Steelers threw at Rodgers.”

Man 1: “Yeah, well you need to watch more film man.  I NEED (emphasis included) hit the sauna, I’ll see you later.”

Man 2: “Later.”

Alright, Man 1 had a couple intelligent points during the course of this conversation, but had a couple of completely ridiculous quotes as well. (not the least of which being, “I NEED to hit the sauna.”  I mean does anyone ever really NEED to hit the sauna?  I know it is nice but I still find it a luxury not a necessity.)  Now, the first thing that made me laugh was that this guy stated that he “re-watched the conference championship game...” I mean was that really necessary?  Were the Packers waiting by the phone for this guys analysis of the Steelers defensive schemes?  He then went on to say, “you need to watch more film man.” which made it necessary for me to put my notebook in front of my face so he would not see me laughing.  I do not think that Man 2 is suffering much from his lack of pre-game film study, but what do I know? I had the audacity to not even watch one of the conference championship games.

I stated above that Man 1 provided a couple intelligent points during this conversation.  I did not, however, mention that I saw Man 1 sitting on the couch in the locker room, watching a segment on SportsCenter in which one of the commentators made each of the points (almost word for word) that this man would go on to use in his conversation with Man 2.

Man 2, on the other hand, used a point that one of the sports-talk newscasters I like to listen to on my way to work made this morning on his show.  Leading me to believe he is also a fan of Doug and Wolf.

I find it very interesting how easily people steal other’s thoughts and ideas in order to sound like an expert.  Everything I heard from these men I had already heard from some of my favorite commentators. Neither of these men gave those commentators credit for their ideas.  It is a sort of verbal plagiarism that is rampant in our society.  I admit that, I too am guilty, from time to time, of this intellectual theft, although I do make a concerted effort to give credit to the person from whom I’v received my information.

I just find it funny that everyone has this unquenchable desire to be an expert in whatever it is they choose to discuss.  Well, I NEED to get to class.

JB

5 comments:

  1. Check this out if you're trying to pick a font. Readable its better than "cool": http://www.will-harris.com/typoscrn.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEED to applaud you on this post, preeettty funny and yet so true. Man 1 is pretty funny though trying to tell Man 2 that he needs to "watch more film", really? I think it's funny, not because of the fact that this Man 1 is trying to be this person who thinks he knows everything about football, but how pathetic do you have to be to watch film if you are not: one, playing for Packers or Steelers to even watch the film, and two, you are not a coach or a professional sports news cast. But hey what do I know of this Man 1 right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very enjoyable and offers perspective on these guys. Sounds like these two enjoy not only body worship (they're in a gym) but also the male bantering and sense of community articulated around sports....Dave C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny post Jordan. Sounds like you're an expert in stalking Man #1! Get a new hobby! Like sauna-ing or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Thank you Zach! I was thinking the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete