Wednesday, February 2, 2011

99 out of 10

Just a reminder that time is running out on the current poll question.  I would love to see more feedback.  I also welcome comments of any nature, from anyone who feels so inclined.  It is always nice to know who is reading what I write and how they respond to each topic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not know if any of you have ever taken a gender and communication class but it is interesting, to say the least.  There have not been any huge blow-ups yet, but the overwhelming feeling I get as I sit in class each day is that my professor is hoping it will happen.  She breezes over hot button issues like abortion, homosexuality, and free love as if they were common topics to discuss over tea.  She always pauses after her statement and looks to us to see if we want to comment, but as of right now there are only a few of my fellow students who participate frequently in classroom discussions, although that is beginning to change.  The past class almost everybody made at least one comment.  We were talking about the genderizing that takes place in American culture.  She asked for examples of genderization in America.  Many examples where given, but my favorite part of the conversation came when the topic of school uniforms was examined.  It started out as a skirt v. slacks debate.  My professor stated that she could not believe that skirts were still the requirement for girls while boys were permitted to wear slacks.  The guy sitting a few seats down from me stated that a lot of uniform wearing schools were allowing girls to wear slacks if they did not want to wear the skirts.  My teacher said that might be the case but 99 out of ten girls would still wear the skirts because that was the expectation.  I do not believe she realized the interesting ratio she threw out, but I find it hard to believe that 990% of girls are caving into social expectations.  That is just my personal opinion though.  I pointed out that it is very acceptable for women to where slacks in formal settings, although the idea of men in skirts still has not become acceptable.

JB

5 comments:

  1. Jordan, Hi i am Casey's old roommate, Natalie.
    Anyways... I enjoyed your post, in my English class last night when debated about a kid in high school wearing eyeliner and getting suspended and if we were for or against the school for the consequence. Which kind of ties into the topic meaning the world will never put females/males on equal ground or somethings are accepted for one gender but not the other. That ratio was funny, I thought at first you just typed it wrong and then realized your teacher was so concentrated on the topic she didnt state the ratio correctly. Like my instructor said when it comes to these different topics people usually go with their emotions not the facts.

    And your font, not really easy to read but not that hard at the same time. :) Enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your class would have fit right in with my class. Emotions do usually rule a person’s opinion. I’m glad you found and read my blog. Casey says hi. Keep reading please =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so did she ever take into consideration that in AZ a short skirt is WAY more comfortable than slacks? And who picks the uniform slacks - they are not flattering or comfortable. Give girls some credit. Did her study ask each girl WHY she wore the skirt when she could wear the slacks? It is not always about wanting to be equal with men. Sometimes being, and in this case, looking feminine and being comfortable is just SMARTER. Sometimes I want to SCREAM! and I probably would if I was in that class... because usually these GENERALIZATION subjects are just that- generalized. I say stand up for individuality! Perhaps that's just emotion, but it seems to me that when trying to make a case out of the exception, one can only use emotion because the facts don't support reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's acceptable to wear slacks, and your professor is clearly incapable of math, but I would agree that most women would probably still wear a skirt in business formal settings. When i was working in Los Angeles i was specifically required by my employer to wear a skirt and heels every day. sexist? perhaps... but let's face it - I think I look better in a skirt and heels, and who doesn't want to look their best? Genderization is an interesting topic... it just makes me wonder, what's so wrong with being feminine? In school or the workplace? Certainly there are circumstances where it could go too far, but i really believe strongly that equality shouldnt necessarily mean "the same" you know? we all have different assets... gotta use 'em, right?

    keep writing! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree 100 % Janae. I actually asked why some women get so offended when a man opens a door for them. That was a crowd pleaser. We talked about that for 10 minutes. M professor said that she only has a problem with that form of chivalry when it is a blatant ruse. Such as a man holding a door, motioning inside and saying “ladies first.”

    Heather I enjoyed your response, and I am glad you are reading my blog. One note that it wasn’t a study my professor had done just her opinion stated as a study.

    ReplyDelete